Shine A Light Fundraising
You can create a Shine A Light On Lung Cancer ‘Everyday Hero’ page as a tribute to a loved one who is living with lung cancer, or as a way of getting involved and helping us continue to support and empower lung cancer patients, their families and carers. Here is a bit of information about our fundraising initiatives.
Lung Cancer Network Australia is the patient/carer initiative of Lung Foundation Australia (a registered charity with its National Office located in Brisbane).
This year the Lung Foundation is focusing on the inequities in research funding allocated to lung cancer – latest figures confirm less than 5% of research funding is allocated to lung cancer research – yet lung cancer is Australia’s biggest cancer killer!
Every dollar raised from this campaign will be invested in local lung cancer research, so please share your fundraising page with your community of family and friends.
You can also request “In Memoriam” donation envelopes to commemorate a loved one who has died from lung cancer, please contact Kerrie Callaghan 07 3251 3641 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
TIPS FOR SETTING UP YOUR FUNDRAISING PAGE
Your Everyday Hero page can help you raise funds before, during and after your Shine a Light event. Here are 5 easy steps for helping you to get the most out of your fundraising page.
1) Tell Your Story
Upload photos to your page to make the look of it suit your event and write a little bit about why you are hosting your Shine a Light event.
2) Why fundraise?
Give people some information about why you are fundraising. Here is some recent lung health information that you can use on your page:
We need funds to facilitate research to find better outcomes for those diagnosed with lung cancer.
- Less than 5% of research funding is allocated to lung cancer research – yet lung cancer is Australia’s biggest cancer killer!
- Recent research advances in Lung Cancer Screening, Early Detection and Treatments are providing hope for patients and their families that has never existed before in the field of lung cancer.
- Lung Cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in Australia.
- Lung cancer is the fourth most common cancer in men and women with over 11,500 Australians diagnosed each year.
- Of the top five most commonly diagnosed cancers, lung cancer in males has the lowest five-year survival (13%), and lung cancer in females has the lowest survival (17%).
- With the latest projections this figure is expected to increase by 21% by the year 2020.
3) Ask people to join your Shine a Light event
List the details of your SAL event, ask people to save the date, and encourage participation.
4) Tell them how their donation will make a difference
Let people know how their donation will help. For example ‘every dollar raised from this campaign will be invested in local lung cancer research’.
5) Ask people to Share
Whether or not they are able to donate, or attend your event, invite people to share your Everyday Hero page on their social media.
6) Allow Anonymity
Allow people to make anonymous donations.